Few things make us feel as nostalgic as a hearty meal that reminds us of home – wherever home may be. Then again, few things can soothe the homesickness as much as indulging your tastebuds with South African flavours.
And it doesn’t always need to be a lengthy process, like spending hours watching your potjiekos stew. No, it could be something as simple as a braaibroodjie. And we’ve found the perfectly jazzed-up luxury braaibroodjie recipe over at braai.com. Why not invite your neighbours with their funny English accents over and share the love?
- Slices of fresh sourdough bread
- French style mayonnaise
- Whole grain mustard
- Gypsy ham
- 18-month matured cheddar
- Sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil
- Spring onions
- Olive oil
- Slice bread fairly thin, the same thickness as toaster bread.
- Lay out half the slices on a cutting board and liberally spread with the mayonnaise and mustard.
- Add the gypsy ham, cheese, sun-dried tomatoes and chopped spring onions. Remember: this is a luxury braaibroodjie, so don’t be stingy with the ingredients.
- Add top layers of bread and drizzle with olive oil.
- Place in a hinged grid (toeklaprooster) and braai over medium-low heat coals. After the first turn, spread olive oil on the side which you didn’t coat the first time round.
- Repeat until the braaibroodjies are nice and golden on the outside.
And voila! A delectable dish that’ll soothe that hankering for home
Send us a message
Leave your details below including a short message and a financial consultant will contact you.
Licensed South African Financial Services Provider FSP # 42872