South Africans love a good potjie, so we’ve taken matters one step further and added the ultimate ingredient treat to the recipe: sliced biltong!
It’s a meal that’s impossible to resist!
How to make a South African Biltong Potjie:
Serves: 8 – 10
- 30 ml (2 T) olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 250 g bacon, sliced
- 1 x red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 x 250 g button mushrooms
- 500 g – 800 g wet biltong, sliced
- 500 ml cream
- grated gouda cheese… lots of cheese!
- 1 x pack (500 g) cooked pasta (shells or fusilli), pre-cooked
- 1 x packet Bacon Carbonara pasta sauce
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat a potjie pot over medium coals.
- Add the oil and fry the onions, garlic, bacon and peppers until the bacon is cooked and the peppers have softened.
- Add the biltong.
- Add the mushrooms and fry until softened.
- Add the cooked pasta, cream and grated cheese
- Stir in the pasta sauce (as per packet instructions)
- Cover the potjie pot with the lid and simmer gently over low heat coals for about 15 to 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the pasta heated through.
This dish can also be made on a stove–top and finished in the oven if preferred.
If you’re looking for more South African recipes, be sure to read them on our blog. There’s even a recipe to show you how you can make your own biltong…
Send us a message
Leave your details below including a short message and a financial consultant will contact you.
Licensed South African Financial Services Provider FSP # 42872