We’re in the middle of a gin renaissance with gin bars popping up all over the world, serving delicious and beautifully presented mixes. For the more sophisticated gin enthusiast there’s the option of the world’s most exclusive gin, Watenshi, officially recognised twice as the world’s most innovative alcohol, comes with a hefty price tag and will set you back about £2000! But what many gin fans don’t know is that it is incredibly easy to make at home. Just use your imaGINation!
What you will need to make your own gin:
- 1 bottle of vodka
- 40g of juniper berries
- A selection of botanicals (these are up to your personal taste – some great ones are stick cinnamon, cardamom pods, coriander seeds, star anise, cloves, pimento, rosemary and citrus zest.
**NB: Don’t use the powdered versions of any of these, as it’ll be impossible to sieve it out after infusing)
- A glass jar or bottle with lid
- A sieve or strainer
Recipe: How to make your own gin
- Sterilise 1 litre jar with boiling water and add 70cl vodka
- Add your botanicals – 40g juniper berries, 10g coriander seeds, 1/2 cinnamon stick , 1/2 liquorice root, 2 cardamom pods
- Infuse for 24 hours in a cool dark place. Have a taste — the juniper flavour should be developing
- Add 1 piece each of orange and lemon peel with the bitter pith removed
- Infuse for 24 hours. Shake once. Don’t over infuse.
- Taste again. If you like it, sieve out the botanicals and strain through a coffee filter.
- Develop in the jar for 2 days. Filter again and you should have a lovely amber gin.
- To finish, simply add your tonic and garnish. It’s gin o’clock!
You can read the original recipe here. You may also be interested in another one of our recipes, Pina Colada popsicles.
Send us a message
Leave your details below including a short message and a financial consultant will contact you.
Licensed South African Financial Services Provider FSP # 42872