Every South African family has inherited a milk tart recipe from their grandmothers and everyone proudly proclaims their milk tart or ‘melktert’ is the very best one around. In fact, milk tart competitions are often held, where judges select the local milk tart winner. It’s a dessert that is steeped in the history of South Africa – and it certainly has stood the test of time!
The origins of the South African milk tart
Milk tart originated from the Dutch settlers when they arrived in the Cape in the 1600s – and the high milk content is credited to the thriving dairy farming community in the Cape of Good Hope. The original recipe of the milk tart is credited to Thomas van der Noot’s book ‘Een notable boexcken van cokeryen’. A traditional milk tart consists of a sweet pastry crust filled with a creamy milk custard consisting of sugar, eggs and flour. The tart is baked in a round pie tin and then dusted with cinnamon once it has set. The filling of the milk tart can vary from firm to wobbly and some people prefer to eat it warm, while others prefer it cold.
To enjoy your own delicious milk tart, try this easy recipe:
Milk tart recipe
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups milk
- 3 egg white
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Coat a 9-inch deep dish pie plate with vegetable oil cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together the butter and sugar until smooth. Add the egg yolks and beat until light and fluffy. Sift in the cake flour, baking powder and salt, and stir until well blended. Mix in the vanilla and milk. In a separate bowl, whip the egg whites to stiff peaks using an electric mixer. Fold into the batter. Pour into the prepared pie plate, and sprinkle cinnamon sugar over the top.
- Bake for 25 minutes in the preheated oven, then reduce the temperature to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Continue to bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the centre is set when you gently jiggle the pie. Serve hot or cold.
If you are a South African living abroad and would like to know more about how you can maximise your finances through financial emigration, accessing your South African retirement annuity and our tailor-made tax solutions for South Africans around the world, contact FinGlobal today for your free and no obligation consultation and quote.
Send us a message
Leave your details below including a short message and a financial consultant will contact you.
Licensed South African Financial Services Provider FSP # 42872
You have Successfully Subscribed!
FinGlobal Newsletter Subscription
Subscribe to the FinGlobal newsletter to receive all the latest news and information regarding our services and South African Expats.