One of SA’s most magical botanicals, the marula fruit tree (Sclerocarya birrea) is native to parts of southern Africa, and while the marula fruit been a significant part of African culture and folklore for centuries, marula oil only recently been discovered by the beauty and cosmetics world as a versatile miracle oil with many benefits for hair, face, skin and overall health.
Marula oil: unique Southern African botanical
Culturally, the marula tree is a symbol of fertility and happy marriage. From a medicinal and culinary perspective, many parts of the marula tree are used in traditional medicines and as cooking ingredients across Africa.
Inside the lush, plump fruit that elephants love so much lies its magical centre – a hard, brown nut with pliable, white kernels at its core. This is the primary source from which marula oil is extracted, while oil can be extracted from the outer husk of the nut as well. Because marula oil is rich in protein and easily absorbed, it’s ideal for use in beauty and cosmetic treatments. Marula oil has many benefits for skin, hair, nails and face, and it’s one of those super-charged South African botanicals that is incredibly versatile and exceptionally hard-working.
Marula oil benefits for skin
Marula oil can be used as an ingredient in a variety of skin treatments and cosmetic products, or as a carrier oil blended with other essential oils. What makes marula oil so beneficial for skincare?
- High amino acid content, specifically amino acids that have hydrating and anti-aging properties.
- Rich in fatty acids that are known for their moisturising benefits and long-lasting emollient effect.
- Contains antioxidants such as free radical fighters vitamins E and C, which can help repair skin damage caused by UV and pollution.
Marula oil benefits: repair, condition and strengthen
- Only a light layer applied to the skin is necessary to see the benefits of marula oil.
- It is useful as a topical treatment to boost hydration with instant results (this is what it means to have an ‘emollient’ effect – it helps the skin to attract and retain hydration)
- Marula oil is non-comedogenic, which means that it won’t clog your pores. It’s lightweight and easily absorbed, and doesn’t feel greasy after you’ve applied it to your skin.
- It is also a mild anti-inflammatory, which means it will assist with red skin and puffiness.
- Useful both as a conditioner for skin and hair.
Marula oil benefits: strengthening the skin’s natural barrier
- Marula oil is a natural source of antioxidants, Vitamin C and E, and essential fatty acids. Regular use of marula oil on the skin is an effective way of boosting your skin’s resistance to weather and external irritants.
- Marula oil is rapidly absorbed by the skin, making it ideal as an intense night facial treatment or for light use daily as a nourishing makeup primer to stop your foundation from flaking due to dry skin patches.
Marula oil benefits: anti-ageing properties for skin
With its potent combination of intense moisture, anti-ageing effects and skin protective properties, marula oil ticks all the right boxes in terms of benefits for skin, hair and face care.
By providing your skin and hair with a powerful daily dose of A daily boost of antioxidant protection, regular use of marula oil yields the desired long term results: improved skin condition, softened wrinkles, moisture retention and the stimulation of the body’s own collagen production in order to maintain healthy, supple skin.
FinGlobal: unique financial services for South African expats
Much like the majestic marula tree, we’re uniquely South African, providing cross-border financial services to South African expats all over the globe. We’ve had a 100% success rate in everything with more than 60 000 clients satisfied with our service since 2011, and FinGlobal has become the trusted financial services intermediary of choice because we offer:
- Complete convenience with all services rendered remotely
- Minimal paperwork for you – we handle everything on your behalf
- Truly personalised financial solutions tailored to your circumstances.
We’re also proud of the fact that we can ensure:
- A shorter wait for your payout with a better return
- Exchange rates more competitive than commercial banks
- You only pay our fees on successful completion of your transaction
- Our fees are fixed and transparent because they’re not commission-based.
No matter your cross-border financial requirement, we’re ready to take the worry off your plate. Let us show you how simple financial emigration, retirement annuity withdrawal, tax clearance, tax refunds or foreign exchange can be when you do it with FinGlobal. Contact us to get started.
Send us a message
Leave your details below including a short message and a financial consultant will contact you.
Licensed South African Financial Services Provider FSP # 42872
You have Successfully Subscribed!
FinGlobal Newsletter Subscription
Subscribe to the FinGlobal newsletter to receive all the latest news and information regarding our services and South African Expats.