While predominantly known for our South African food, many Saffas, young and old, agree that there’s only one best tasting drink to be had. In fact, no other drink provides as much refreshment under the hot African sun than, dare we say it – Oros! After all, this iconic drink has been around for more than a century and is synonymous with our love of biltong, droewors, and the braai. It’s the drink for adults and kids alike and tastes like sunshine in a bottle!
One hundred years, plus!
Founded in 1899 by Charles Brookes, the first Oros drink was actually lemon flavoured but was changed to orange due to popular demand. That’s 122 years of oh-oh-oh Oros fun! That said, if you are a true saffa, most of your childhood was definitely interspersed with numerous glasses of this delicious squash. Who can say they haven’t gulped a glass of this refreshing drink while standing on the sports pitch at school? Half-time anyone? Yes, this drink certainly brings back some nostalgic memories!
However, age has not diminished the popularity of the Oros drink South Africa still holds the orange Oros man close to its heart. At this point, you’re probably wondering where to buy Oros nowadays? After all, a century is a long time to have been around! Well, we’re happy to say there’s no dust on the Oros man! After one hundred years, the Oros drink is still readily available in many local stores and can even be bought online using Amazon and other platforms by Saffas abroad. So, get in there, guys, buy a bottle of fun today!
More than just squash
Over the years, Oros has become more than just a drink. Innovative South Africans have used this delicious drink to inspire sumptuous Oros recipes in true African style. While a glass of Oros is still enjoyed in all its simplicity, these recipes have boosted the Oros man into an oh-oh-oh-ther dimension. So, let’s slurp our way through some genuinely decadent Oros dessert recipes; we guarantee they will have you rushing to buy some Oros today!
This summer, treat the family to some Oros fun with these delicious recipes. First up is the infamous Oros slushie
Oh-rangey Oros slushies
What you need
- 1 cup orange Oros concentrated juice
- 1 cup fresh cold water
- Ice cube tray
- Zip seal sandwich bag
- Wooden rolling pin
- 2 cups sparkling water
- Fresh mint leaves to garnish
What to do
- Combine the Oros and water in a glass measuring jug
- Then pour the mixture into the ice cube tray
- Carefully place the filled ice cube tray in the freezer, allow the mixture to freeze thoroughly. Note Freeze overnight to ensure the Oros ice cubes are thoroughly frozen.
- Empty the Oros ice cubes into the zip seal sandwich bag and seal.
- Using a rolling pin or heavy wooden spoon, crush the Oros cubes until they resemble a slushie consistency.
- Spoon the slushie mixture into a tall glass and add the sparkling water.
- Garnish with mint and serve with the fresh mint leaves and serve with a long straw.
This makes the perfect ice-cold drink for those hot summery afternoons spent lazing around the pool. Add a sneaky shot of vodka or gin for an adult Oros slushie that’s full of summer fun! Who said the kids have all the fun?
Next, we have Oh-so-easy Oros Ice cream. This recipe is sure to be an absolute favourite amongst guests of any age!
What you need
- 4 cups of fresh, full fat cream
- ½ tin carnation condensed milk
- ¾ cup Oros original concentrate
- 1 rectangular baking tin (banana loaf size)
- Ice cream cones
- Ice cream scoop
- Hot water
- 1 tub rainbow vermicelli sprinkles
What to do
- Pour the fresh cream into a large mixing bowl and beat using an electric beater until thick and shiny but not stiff.
- Add the condensed milk to the cream and gently combine using a spatula.
- Then add the ¾ cup of Oros and mix thoroughly.
- Carefully pour the mixture into the baking tin and smooth the top with the flat edge of a knife or spatula.
- Then cover the baking tin with a layer of cling film and place it in the freezer to set. Ideally, this should be done overnight as the mixture can take a few hours to set properly.
- Then dip the ice cream scoop into the hot water to make scooping the ice cream easier.
- Top each ice cream cone with a generous helping of delicious Oros Ice cream and serve with a dusting of rainbow vermicelli sprinkles.
Now that’s a Sunday afternoon treat done the Oros South Africa way! No matter how you enjoy your Oros, it’s sure to continue quenching the thirst of South Africans for generations to come!
Oh-so expert advice from the team at FinGlobal
Are you looking for an oh-so-easy solution to your emigration woes and queries? Look no further than the well-known team at FinGlobal. The team have more than a decade of experience in the emigration industry and are proud to provide excellent services to Saffas at home and abroad.
Allow the team to tailor a bespoke emigration plan suited to your personal requirements. Please speak to us about your tax and financial emigration or retirement annuities and pensions; we are happy to assist. If it’s forex services you require or you simply need some advice on how to set your Oros ice cream, we at FinGlobal are here to help!
For professional and super friendly advice that’s focused on you and your emigration well-being, contact FinGlobal today. To discuss your unique needs with our team, simply get in touch with us. Give us a call on +27 28 312 2764 or send us an email at email@example.com, and we will assist you promptly.
Send us a message
Leave your details below including a short message and a financial consultant will contact you.
Licensed South African Financial Services Provider FSP # 42872
You have Successfully Subscribed!
FinGlobal Newsletter Subscription
Subscribe to the FinGlobal newsletter to receive all the latest news and information regarding our services and South African Expats.