Explaining the jargon
PI is defined by the Protection of Personal Information Act, 4 of 2013 (the Act) as:
“information relating to an identifiable, living, natural person, and where it is applicable, an identifiable, existing juristic person, including, but not limited to—
a. information relating to the race, gender, sex, pregnancy, marital status, national, ethnic or social origin, colour, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental health, well-being, disability, religion, conscience, belief, culture, language and birth of the person;
b. information relating to the education or the medical, financial, criminal or employment history of the person;
c. any identifying number, symbol, e-mail address, physical address, telephone number, location information, online identifier or other particular assignment to the person;
d. the biometric information of the person;
e. the personal opinions, views or preferences of the person;
f. correspondence sent by the person that is implicitly or explicitly of a private or confidential nature or further correspondence that would reveal the contents of the original correspondence;
g. the views or opinions of another individual about the person; and
h. the name of the person if it appears with other personal information relating to the person or if the disclosure
of the name itself would reveal information about the person”.
Our commitment to your privacy
• Accept joint responsibility and accountability with you to responsibly manage and protect your PI when providing our services and solutions to you;
• Undertake to receive, only from you, and process the PI that is necessary for the purpose to assist you with your required solutions, conclude the necessarily related agreements and consider the legitimate legal interests of everyone concerned, as required by the Act and to respect your right to withdraw your consent for the processing of your PI;
• Undertake to only use your PI for the purpose required to assist you or provide solutions to you;
• Undertake not to share or further process your PI with anyone if not required for assisting you with your solutions or by the law;
• Undertake to be open and transparent and notify you as and when required by law regarding why and how your PI needs to be collected;
• Undertake to safeguard and protect the PI in our possession;
• Undertake to freely confirm what PI we have, to update and correct the PI, and to keep it for no longer than legally required. You have the right to access the PI that we hold by sending a written request to email@example.com and inform us of any information that is incorrect and requires amendment or updating.
Use of PI
We will collect, use, and keep your PI as prescribed by relevant laws and regulations and for reasons detailed below.
If you are unsure or uncomfortable with the reason why PI is needed, feel free to obtain clarity before disclosing that PI.
• To share with and provide relevant products or services to you, to carry out the transaction you requested, and to maintain our relationship;
• To respond to your queries;
• To confirm and verify your identity or to verify that you are an authorised user for security purposes;
• For insurance underwriting purposes;
• To assess and process claims;
• For operational purposes required to assist you with the solutions you require;
• For audit and record-keeping purposes;
• In connection with possible requirements by the Information Regulator or other government agencies allowed by law, legal proceedings, or court rulings.
Storage of PI
The information that we collect from you may be transferred to, and stored in, a country outside South Africa. We are committed to adequately protect your PI regardless of where the data resides.
By submitting your information and making use of our services, you agree to such transfers, storing or processing.
We shall back up and store your PI for as long as is necessary for achieving the purpose for which the information was collected or in accordance with any applicable laws.
We maintain strict security standards and procedures to secure the integrity and confidentiality of PI in our possession and in preventing unauthorised access by anyone, including our employees. We use leading technologies such as (but not limited to) data encryption, firewalls, and server authentication to protect the security of your PI. We have implemented call recording for training, quality assurance, security, and record purposes. All incoming and outgoing calls are recorded.
Contact details of the Information Regulator
Any additional information or concerns can be raised with the Information Regulator, whose contact details are shared below. Feel free to contact us first to discuss any questions or concerns you may have:
Website: https://www.justice.gov.za/inforeg/ Tel: 012 406 4818
Changes to this policy
We may update this privacy statement by publishing an updated version here. When we make changes to this privacy statement, we will amend the revision date above. The amended privacy statement will apply from the revision date. We encourage you to review this privacy statement periodically to be informed about how we are protecting your information.
Click on the link below to access the FinGlobal PAIA Manual.